Friday, June 21, 2013

Grinding Gear

Like many guitarists, I've spent many years caught in the loop of searching for the perfect gear.  Like most middling players, I've finally realized that there's no such thing.  Dave Holland still sounds like Dave Holland, whether he's playing a cheap upright bass or a priceless, handmade instrument.

The guitar pictured here is a Japanese-made Ibanez AS-50.  I purchased one of these guitars for about $800.00, about five or six years ago.  Coincidentally, Ben Monder, one of the most amazing guitarists on the planet, plays one of these as well. 

I often joke that I thought I would be able to play as well as Ben, because I play the same guitar.  That couldn't be further from the truth.  Although I've never owned an uber-expensive instruments, I have owned quite a few guitars in my life, but this Ibanez is the first instrument that's remained with me for several years.  I've never thought about selling it, to be honest, and I doubt I ever will.

It's nothing fancy, really.  The only thing I've done is install a set of Grover tuners, and a set of handwound Smith pickups.  Having finally gotten over the need to find the "perfect" instrument, I have far more energy to devote to learning to play jazz.

No comments:

Post a Comment